At a minimum, we spend 40 hours per week at work. That’s a lot of time away from the comforts of home and away from our family. Aside from really getting to know coworkers and creating a workplace family, decorating your cubicle can be yet another way to keep you comfortable and happy while you’re at work. Cubicles are typically thought of as bland, impersonal places to work. When I used to hear the word cubicle, the movie Office Space was the first thing that came to mind, with good ol’ Bill Lumbergh lurking over your shoulder saying “Ummm yeahhhh, I’m going to need you to come in on Saturday.” But that’s not the case!
It’s easy to brighten a dull cubicle with professional, yet personal touches. I pride myself on having cute accessories that represent ME at my desk. One of my favorite places to buy cute décor is Ross. They have great frames, bulletin boards, pictures, and accessories. The best part is that you can create a super cute space on a budget! You can take those cubicle walls from drab to fab in no time. The following are my essentials that make my cubicle cozy:
- Unique bulletin board. Mine has hot pink sparkle trim, and I use it to post important work information and pictures.
- Office accessories. I choose bedazzling and bling, because nothing says “I rock this cubicle” quite like bling!
- Ornate standing sconces with LED candles. I love that they create a “cozy” feel without the risk of burning down the office. You can never be too careful!
- Pictures. I have frames filled with photos of family, friends and my fur babies, and I love all of the good memories that they bring.
- Accent pieces. My favorite accent piece is my ceramic French Bulldog, Hank. He is always keepin’ it real in my cube!
- A blanket. I keep a soft blanket with a fun pattern at my desk to add to the décor and give me dose of “cozy” for those days when the A/C is on full blast. Brrr!
- Flowers. A vase with fake flowers is a pretty addition without the maintenance! The less watering, the better!
- Industry-related books. I like to keep books related to my job on my cubicle’s shelf. My desk favorites are PR Superstar and The New Rules of Marketing & PR.
- Wall art that is fun and/or inspirational. My “Do what you love, love what you do” picture is the perfect descriptor for how I feel about my job!
- A pretty day planner. My Erin Condren planner is personalized with my name and has one of my favorite quotes on the cover. It’s the small things that get me excited!
Don’t let those dull, drab cubicle partitions close in on you while you work. If your workplace allows, brighten up your space with pictures of your family and pets, add accent pieces of your favorite color, or throw in a touch of bling in the form of sparkly office supplies if you’re feeling a little ambitious. Get out there and start decorating — that’d be greaaat!